Hot Buttered Mirth from General Jocularity...
I bumped into Patrice this morning. He sleeps across the way from Lunga (see Tuesday's post). Lunga's South African, but Patrice is from Congo.
Anyway, I'm not at my best at 06:45 so when, on climbing out of the car I was faced with a giggling alleged racist, I felt decidedly edgy.
Patrice put me at ease immediately. Because he's always smiling, I call him General Jocularity.
"Good blog post, man."
"Thanks, General. You read it?"
He patted his duvet and laughed. "Always have the old laptop under here."
I made as if to head off to the office, wondering at his good humour. Patrice called out. "Hey, you read that arsehole over at Modern Tribalist?"
I stopped and turned. "No. Modern Tribalist? What's that? One of your kung-fu-juju African stunts?"
"No, lame brain. He's a white-American fuck nut who considers himself a racist. Now that we've cornered the market, he's nothing short of pathetic."
"How come?" I was intrigued.
"I told you I was reading the blogs last night," he said, pulling a serious laptop out from under his covers. "I'm not buying any fucking newspapers. Why pay for them to keep the advertising industry alive?"
I wasn't getting into that one. "What about this Modern Tribalist idiot? What's pathetic about a white supremacist?" I asked Patrice.
"Well, besides Shelley and Jeneane picking up on your post, as well as a great pic from Farrago, it seems he was the only other person who saw fit to mention the article. In fact, he quoted it at length as an authoritative statement of fact."
"Dumb bastard."
"Yeah," nodded Patrice. "That's what I thought. Until I read the comments. And that's when I started laughing. I haven't stopped since 04:00."
"Don't you sleep?" I asked him.
"With this traffic?" he asked in return, nodding at the freeway a few meters from us.
I said nothing.
"Anyway," he continued. "I wasn't laughing so much at this sick bastard. I was having a hoot at Anonymous. He or she commented on the article."
"What'd he say?" I asked.
Patrice pulled a printout from under his pile of covers. "Here. I printed it out for you."
I stared at the printout. 'You have a laser printer under there?"
"Oh, yeah," he chuckled. "Read the thing."
I did.
I live in Gauteng SA,
I don't think apartheid was right. But didn't America have slaves?? Weren't they also seen as a minority race? They just didn't give it a name but wasn't apartheid also present? I was a small kid who didn't know about all the things going on around the country why am I being punished for things that I wasn't part off?? The guys running around blaming apartheid for things are my age... apartheid happened to their parents and grandparents not to them why are they carrying on about it? I thought we were all free since 1994? They had opportunities since then to study and learn but are still relying on afirmative (sic) action and blaming apartheid to find jobs because they didn't take the opportunities given to them. Afirmitave (sic) action was a good idea for awhile to get black south africans (sic) into the loop but now it has been taken too far...Half of black South Africans sitting in possisions (sic) they are, are not qualified and can't do the job but they are there because they are black.
Some one mentioned yesterday that a march is going to be held at Loftus this weekend because there are to little blacks in the Springbok Rugby team...quota hasn't been met... what about the soccer team Bafana, Bafana? There are almost no whites in the team and you don't hear anyone say "hey what about the quota?" APARTHEID IS TURNED AROUND! Blacks and Whites have swopped (sic) places.
I felt slightly queasy. This was not the sort of thing to be reading before a day's work.
"This is pretty ugly stuff, General," I remarked. "You mind if I finish it in the office? It looks as though the Sunday Times may have unwittingly done us a favour."
"Not at all, but I need the printout. I'm running low on paper, so I'll mail the link upstairs. That guy's either fallen off the left-hand side of the Bell Curve or he's been scared shitless. Anyhow, it's well worth reading. You go on up and get yourself some coffee."
"Cool. thanks a million, man. And thanks for stopping by at the blog."
"My pleasure, Mike. You have a good day now, you hear?"
"Yeah, man. You look after yourself too, eh?"
Smiling, Patrice pulled out a shoulder-fired rocket launcher. "Hey, don't you worry about me. I can look after myself."
I don't doubt it.
This Just In!
you sexist denier of male linkersChrist! It's the Colonel...the one and only Frank Paynter. What the hell do I do now? The viciousness of the accusation; the vitriol with which it has been put...I am immobilized. I am mortified.
oh sure jeneane and shelley were the only ones...
NOT
Of course, since I am a link whore i can see why you discount me.
But that doesn't make you any less sexist. In fact link whore discrimination is one of the worst things you can be accused of.
j'accuse
Indeed my friends, in this business, you can safely take on racists, politicians and other twisted perverts across the spectrum. But one thing a blogger NEVER, NEVER does, is cross a link whore.
Especially a sweet and charming old slut like Frank.