Wednesday, November 09, 2005

Falluja, November 8-9, 2004

Falluja, 8-9 November 2004
Falluja, November 8-9, 2004

In a documentary, "Fallujah: The Hidden Massacre" [wmv and rm, approx 40MB] broadcast by RAI, the Italian state broadcaster, this morning, a former American soldier who fought at Fallujah says: "I heard the order to pay attention because they were going to use white phosphorus on Fallujah. In military jargon, it's known as Whisky Pete.

"Phosphorus burns bodies. In fact it melts the flesh all the way down to the bone ... I saw the burned bodies of women and children. Phosphorus explodes and forms a cloud. Anyone within a radius of 150 metres is done for."


The Independent | US forces 'used chemical weapons' during assault on city of Fallujah

How much do I know | To talk out of turn | You might say that I'm young | You might say I'm unlearned | But there's one thing I know | Though I'm younger than you | Even Jesus would never | Forgive what you do



Despite persistent rumours of injuries among Iraqis consistent with the use of incendiary weapons such as napalm, Adam Ingram, the Defence minister, assured Labour MPs in January that US forces had not used a new generation of incendiary weapons, codenamed MK77, in Iraq.

But Mr Ingram admitted to the Labour MP Harry Cohen in a private letter obtained by The Independent that he had inadvertently misled Parliament because he had been misinformed by the US. "The US confirmed to my officials that they had not used MK77s in Iraq at any time and this was the basis of my response to you," he told Mr Cohen. "I regret to say that I have since discovered that this is not the case and must now correct the position."


The Independent | US lied to Britain over use of napalm in Iraq war [06/17/05]

Let me ask you one question | Is your money that good | Will it buy you forgiveness | Do you think that it could | I think you will find | When your death takes its toll | All the money you made | Will never buy back your soul



The US also used napalm in the siege of Falluja as was reported in the UK Mirror ["Falluja Napalmed", 11-28-04] The Mirror said, "President George Bush has sanctioned the use of napalm, a deadly cocktail of polystyrene and jet-fuel banned by the United Nations in 1980, will stun the world... [I wouldn't say it's done that, Mike. In fact, most don't really seem to care.] Reports claim that innocent civilians have died in napalm attacks, which turn victims into human fireballs as the gel bonds flames to flesh. Since the American assault on Falluja there have been reports of 'melted' corpses, which appeared to have napalm injuries."

Mike Whitney | Incinerating Iraqis: The Napalm Cover-Up

The reporting of the Iraqi death toll - both in its scale and account of who is doing the killing - is profoundly dishonest. ... We can expect the US and UK governments to seek to minimise the extent of their war crimes. But it's time the media stopped collaborating.

George Monbiot | The media are minimising US and British war crimes in Iraq

And I hope that you die | And your death'll come soon | I will follow your casket | In the pale afternoon | And I'll watch while you're lowered | Down to your deathbed | And I'll stand o'er your grave | 'Til I'm sure that you're dead

Bob Dylan | Masters of War