Middle East Carnage Continues...
...while the West reads Michael Moore
A U.S. soldier walks away from the ICRC HQ,
Baghdad 2003/27/10
This song comes to mind... for reasons that go further that today's carnage in Iraq and the Holocaust of Rafah. It's one country song I've always felt I own. Written by a one-time down-and-out alcoholic and sung by Janis Joplin, it's one of the most beautiful songs ever written...
Busted flat in Baton Rouge, headin' for the train | Feelin' nearly faded as my jeans | Bobby flagged the diesel down, just before it rained | Took us all the way to New Orleans | I took my harpoon out of my dirty red bandanna | I was blowin' sad while Bobby sang the blues | With them windshield wipers slappin' time and Bobby clappin' hands | We finally sang up every song that driver knew
Freedom's just another word for nothin' left to lose | And nothin' ain't worth nothin' but it's free | Feelin' good was easy, Lord, when Bobby sang the blues | Feeling good was good enough for me, good enough for me and Bobby McGee
From the coalmines of Kentucky to the California sun | Bobby shared the secrets of my soul | Standin' right beside me, through everything I've done | And every night she kept me from the cold | Then somewhere near Salinas, Lord, I let her slip away | Lookin' for the home I hope she'll find | And I'll trade all my tomorrows for a single yesterday | Holdin' Bobby's body next to mine
Freedom's just another word for nothin' left to lose | And nothin' left is all she left for me | Ah, feelin' good was easy, Lord, when Bobby sang the blues | Feeling good was good enough for me, good enough for me and Bobby McGee...
Kris Kristofferson | Me and Bobby Mcgee