Friday, May 25, 2007

Happy Birthday Bob


Bob Dylan flies back to Budokan

Yeah, I know... one too many mornings and a thousand miles behind. So what? I've never been one to post birthday wishes to celebrities, but things have changed. Besides, my youngest daughter found a great article on the life of Bob Dylan, born Abraham Hershel Rosenthal yesterday 76 years ago.

Didn't have time to make a card either, so the old snap above will have to do. Pinched it from the post below. It's from his last Cape Town concert.

One thing about Wikipedia — you can take it as Gospel. Uncyclopedia, from which these remarkable facts about His Bobness originate, ain't half bad either. Dylan's apparently well over 3,900 years old, killed Davey Moore, framed Rueben Carter and wrote every single song ever. Ever. Ever ever. Ever. Forever. Even songs from before he was born. So shut up and quit asking.

"I've never seen a happier man in my life. I couldn't get him to stop smiling and laughing."

Barbara Walters of her interviews with Bob Dylan.

In related news, BBC2 will air a new documentary on The Traveling Wilburys tomorrow night.

Boy! I can't wait.

This is the radio station that's just realised John Wayne is dead.

Note: For those not in the know — as we in the music industry like to say, Bob Dylan turned 66 yesterday. Just one more 6 and ya'll know what that means.

Addendum: For those unable to appreciate the synchronistic nature of blogging and the relationships it fosters, I visited Bruce to find him honouring the 30th anniversary of Star Wars with his customary incisive commentary and pithy insight. Also, a good punt for Hayao Miyazaki's 1984 Nausicca of The Valley of the Wind. Given the time of his post, he blogged it eight hours before me. Given our time zones, it's pretty much a together thing.

Now, I have had occasion to suggest to Bruce that he and I should quiz our mothers more closely on their pasts as I believe us to be brothers both in thought and, probably (knowing him as a somewhat bent and twisted youth) deed. Neither of us have, as far as I know, but I again — on stumbling across (in his entry) phrases used above, marvel at the way the Web works. It just ain't something that can be regulated.