Click to enlarge...
I managed to get down to the sea this weekend. Like many living in the shadow of the mountain, young Zubair Anderson did not.
A body discovered at the weekend in an open field near Hanover Park in Philippi has been identified as that of 12-year-old Zubair Anderson, Western Cape police said on Monday.
The boy lived in Hanover Park with his family, said Inspector Bernadine Steyn.
Anderson's body was found with a copper wire around his neck and an open wound to his head on Saturday.
"It seems that his shoes were taken," said Steyn.
No arrests had been made and a murder case was opened.
Independent | Murdered boy identified
A radio newscast speculated that Zubair was bludgeoned to death with a brick found nearby.
I know a woman whose son was stabbed to death in Khayalitsha a couple of years ago. His killers took his clothes.
Zubair was murdered for his shoes.
Such is the cost of living.
I'll be back down at the water's edge this weekend. I want to catch the sun's arc in a cloud.
Click to enlarge...
"If you ask me why we did it here in Cape Town, it's just because we saw it on TV. For me I didn't mind getting all that free stuff."
19-year old looter