Monday, July 16, 2007

Sunset on Dissent



Security has not gotten better in the West Bank and Gaza. Not even in Jerusalem. In fact, it's gotten worse because there is a systematic campaign underway to kill Israeli children in schools, worshippers in synagogues and soldiers on patrol. Some say this war is sponsored by Arafat and his murderous minions. Clearly, he's paid only the most transparent lip service to "condemnation" of terror attacks against Israelis. His Fatah organization has sponsored and conducted many of these attacks, including some of the most recent.

Harley Carnes | Mr. President, PLEASE listen to this Democrat!

I now listen to 567 Cape Talk in the morning...on my way to work. It revs me up, makes me see red, and gets me fighting mad. Its an ideal warm-up for the working day. How does morning host Aden Thomas do it?

At 06:50, he crosses to WCBS wing-nut Harley Carnes, who delivers the U.S. Report from New York City.

Last week Carnes described anti-war former soccer mom Cindy Sheehan — who has threatened to run against House Speaker Nancy Pelosi — as "...the darling of the far, far, far left".

Huh?

He then went on to call her views on "the war" so-out-of-the-ballpark that her eminently sensible husband divorced her.

What an asshole.



Thank God I don't get to hear CapeTalk's UK correspondent, Adam Gilchrist, a "British Forces radio journalist" bound to give a well-embedded view on what's happening in Britain and its environs.

Using YouTube, I later watched Michael Moore being interviewed by CNN's Wolf Blitzer. I believe Blitzer is well-known in the United States and serves his employer's interests well. Moore ripped into CNN's 'medical expert', Sanjay Gupta, for misrepresenting his latest movie before lambasting Blitzer for his continued support of the illegal Iraqi invasion and occupation.

Blitzer took his pasting well; not answering a damned thing. When Moore faded from the screen, and in a moment not included in the transcript, Blitzer's co-host Lou Dobbs — trying to take the sizzle off a singed steak — turned to Blitzer and congratulated him on surviving a man "more of a left-wing promoter than Hugo Chavez, for crying out loud."

Michael Moore?

You know things are out of control when, on network T.V., the middle-of-the-road likes of Moore and Sheehan are described as demented radicals.

But you really know the end is nigh when you discover that Ward Churchill, a former associate professor at the University of Colorado in Boulder, is about to be fired for writing the only sensible, articulate article to come out of the United States in the immediate aftermath of 9/11.



As the dust of the WTC settled, Americans asked "Why?"

The undoubtedly flamboyant Churchill told them why in an article entitled "Some People Push Back:" On the Justice of Roosting Chickens. There's nothing weird or radical about his piece. Written informally, it gives an unvarnished, personal view that concurs with and gives voice to globally favored opinion.

It seems that while I've been sleeping, Churchill has been subjected to one of the most pernicious, poisonous, vengeful, hate-filled witch hunts in academic history.

The messenger is about to lose his head. It's The American Way.

There is something very strange taking place in the United States. Subject to the incessant bombardment of network bullshit, most Americans seem to have disconnected absolutely from reality. I'm not speaking the usual Sean Hannity, Anne Coulter, JesusCamp crap here.

I'm speaking psychosis. To use Tommy Barnett's facile terminology, the Core has become the Gap.

Cindy Sheehan is no "left-wing radical." Nor is Michael Moore.

Trust me.



The twisted disinformation spread by the likes of Carnes, Blitzer and his co-host, and by those who seek Churchill's ousternotably Bill O'Reilly, is broadcast worldwide. While some swallow it, most find it chilling.

I've a feeling Churchill's dismissal will mark the end of what little dissent remains in the United States. Deviation from the official, impossibly far-fetched line — on any aspect of the Global War of Terror, will count as a treasonable offense, the punishment for which will be appropriately severe.

And people like Churchill are being replaced. Scruggsy introduced me to the ghastly reality of America's academic future. Donald Douglas blogs under the banner Burkean Reflections and is a self-professed "pro-victory associate professor of political science" in Orange County, California.

"I love the United States of America, and I fully support current U.S. military operations around the world," oozes our new, pre-packaged, saccharin-coated conventional wisdom.

It's truly horrendous stuff.



Those who brought about this untenable situation are going to get off scot-free. More, for a short while they will inherit the Earth.

Many "little Eichmanns", however, will end up in the ghettos.

Ward Churchill's "hearing" is on July 24.

I've work to go to in a few hours time. I wonder what Harley Carnes (who, no doubt, considers himself sane) will come up with tomorrow.

Arafat says U.S. aid does not pay for terrorism. No. U.S. aid goes to pay for everything else. That way the Authority can use its own money to buy the bombs.

Harley Carnes | Mr. President, PLEASE listen to this Democrat!

Read my lips, Harley. You're no good at this stuff. You're forever backing the wrong horse.

Note: Jesus, what crap. Harley ruined my morning endorsing the sick sentiments of U.S. National Security Adviser Stephen Hadley in an NPR interview.
We need to fight this enemy operationally, we need to fight it ideologically, in terms of our values and principles and alternative vision. And that's going to be a long-term challenge, not just for the United States, but really for many nations — friends and allies around the world, who stand for a positive vision rather than a negative vision. And that, I think, is the thing the American people understand.

We have a major challenge that we are in some sense in the opening hours of. And what we need to do as a nation is come together and put in place the tools we need both to wage the operational war and also to wage the war of ideas. This administration has made a start at doing that. We, obviously, need the support of Congress and the American people. But it is also going to be a vocation for the administrations that come after this country [sic]. And I think it is one of the challenges our generation faces. We've started on that effort, and I'm confident the American people, as they have in the past, will rise to the challenge and will do it.
Do I really have to listen to this stuff?

No. I'll stick to the afternoon show.