Saturday, September 30, 2006

Travels with Zonker

On the Road with Zonker
On the Road with Zonker

A trip to Cape Agulhas, the southern tip of Africa, is no doddle. It demands a couple of hours' deliberation, planning, victualling, and a good car.

We got the first three right, but loused up on the last. Zonker's 18-year old Mercedes spent three days outside Struisbaai's Nostra restaurant, an electrical fault stranding it along a 14-kilometer stretch of white sand, azure water, and sun-puffed clouds sailing a deep blue sky.

"So what?" we thought. "We have better things to do than repair Mercedes Benz's signal failure to live up to its promise of engineering excellence."

Struisbaai - in the lee of the Southern tip...
Struisbaai — in the lee of the Southern tip...

We took pictures instead. This activity involves a great deal of walking, climbing, and other physical discomforts. But no matter — we are, when all is said and done, professionals, bloggers, and hard men to boot.

Not that these things matter either.

I have a new camera now and am trying to wrap my hands, mind, and whatever creativity I might have around the damned thing. It's a digital, but it offers more than the smaller PowerShot. 'More' means complex and I'm a sucker for 'complex'.

Rather than take a straight snap, I'll try something. The result is most often, as we professionals put it, unfit for human consumption. Sometimes, I reckon these damned latter-day cameras are better left to their own devices as most of the snaps that work were taken at default settings.

...and Zonker's car's home for the weekend
...and Zonker's car's home for the weekend

Format is a new complexity with which I'm grappling. Given a wide-screen (rather than wide-angle) picture-postcard option, I couldn't resist the damned thing and, because it saves space, took most snaps using that layout. The result is a nightmare to fit to an album designed to tell a story of a weekend rather than offer pretty pictures.

Never mind. I'll get it right.

Some day.